About Me

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

CULT FILMS,EP56,WITH TODD STARUCH

"Cult Films" is the topic this week at Everett's Hangout. I sit down and discuss this topic with Film Critic "The Horror Nerd," Todd Staruch. I mention on the last blog post about how I have for awhile now wanting to do a topic on this subject. I wanted to discuss what makes a film to be considered a "Cult Film?" I could not do this task at hand by myself. I couldn't think of anyone else who to join me on this topic.That is when I turn to "The Horror Nerd," Todd Staruch.

Todd Staruch reviews and talks about "Horror" films with other films as well for "The Indie Lounge TV,"with host Mandy Del Rio. When I watched Todd with his view and opinions on films, I knew he was the person I was looking for. I had a blast having Todd Staruch on talking about "Cult Films" and what are favorite films that we enjoyed watching that would be considered in that arera of films.

Enjoy hearing our talk on the subject of "Cult Films" and read on about Todd Staruch below.

Todd Staruch (Taken from The HorrorNerd.net)

About the Horror Nerd

My love of horror films goes back to when I was 7 or 8 years old and they used to show "monster movies" on WOR in New Jersey on Saturday afternoons. I fell in love with these Kaiju films, and started to seek out other horror related programs on TV. Of course, my mother was not thrilled by this, but luckily, I had a favorite aunt who used to indulge this behavior.

Once into my teens, I would check out horror films whenever I could, but it was not easy. The home video revolution had not quite started yet, and there were few horror films shown in the theater in my town. Yet, I used to drag my dad to the movies where we saw such fare as "The Fog", "Halloween", "Friday the 13th" and other well known horror classics.

Over time, I also began to seek out more extreme stuff, and I clearly remember when "Faces of Death" was all the rage. Of course back then we had no idea that most of it was staged bullshit, but we didn't care! We thought we were watching something "underground" and that we were part of a secret club that no one else understood. Everyone else thought we were a little strange, but being a little strange is part of my endearing charm.

As a got older and into my 40's (I'm 44 now), I developed a love of horror of any kind. Supernatural horror, slashers, ghosts, extreme gore, and even "shit" horror. I will watch anything and everything, and I have amassed quite a collection over the years. I have been fortunate enough along the way to meet great people who share my passion for horror movies, and that has made the journey into darkness that much better. I have a group of 4-5 guys that I have been watching horror with for the last 17 years or so. They are my freaks, they know who they are, and they know how I feel about them.

For a list of my favorite horror films, click HERE, http://www.horrornerd.net/favorite-films.html

Beyond films, I am a frequent attendee of horror and film conventions, and I have found that horror fans are the greatest people in the world. I have met so many great fans, actors, actresses, etc. that I have lost count. People ask us all the time, "Why do you like these films?" My answer is, "We all have darkness inside of us, and horror films allow us to indulge that darkness vicariously." Among my fellow horror fans, we all feel a connection because we all "get it".

I generally attend Monster Mania in Cherry Hill, NJ and Chiller Theatre in Parsippany, NJ twice a year, along with the awesome Macabre Faire Film Festival on Long Island. I also attend many other events throughout the year, and I have begun hosting my own horror film screenings called Grindhouse Night's at Cafe Z. If you see me at an event, please do not hesitate to come up and say hello. I promise I won't bite........hard.

Well, I think I've talked about myself long enough. I hope this gives you a little insight into who I am. Please, fellow freaks, do NOT hesitate to get in touch with me. You can send me a message by clicking HERE. I'm actually not that scary. OK, maybe a little.

Gotta go now.....can't sleep.....clowns will eat me.....

The Horror Nerd

Visit Todd Staruch at these sites,

Todd Staruch Website: horrornerd.net

The Indie Lounge TV with host Mandy Del Rio: indieloungetv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment